ClimateHope Media Project
THE Inspiration Resource for Ambitious Climate Goals
We’ve started to systematically build public awareness of inspiring, hopeful climate goals and to spark new policies, strategies, events, campaigns, organizations, coalitions around them. Healthy Climate Alliance (HCA) has gained initial support from individuals to create a sponsored strategic advocacy journalism Special Project at Grist.org, a leading media outlet on climate. We aim to establish THE go-to resource for people looking for journalism and analysis about climate restoration. At a critical point for climate action, this effort could gain our editorial partner significant visibility and influence on the momentous changes we need.
We’ve launched and our first two articles are out: “The breakthrough that could actually reverse climate change” profiles Blue Planet’s solution to capture restoration-scale amounts of carbon dioxide in synthetic limestone for roads and buildings. In the warming Arctic, a promising solution to climate change profiles the non-profit Ice911 and its solution to restore Arctic ice.
Now we’re going to launch a crowdsourcing/crowdfunding community of readers. This page will be updated soon!
To imagine what a ClimateHope Media Project could do, let’s look to back at how information and insights spread and spurred the global recognition of the need to switch from fossil fuels to renewables ASAP.
In 2011, the UK organization Carbon Tracker released the Unburnable Carbon research report. It didn’t make waves broadly. But a year later, Bill McKibben’s eye-opening article in Rolling Stone, Global Warming’s Terrifying New Math, jolted climate activists and investors. McKibben stayed at on topic in Rolling Stone, as his allies joined in to promote divestment and make memes of Keep It In the Ground and Fossil Fuel Resistance. In 2017 that led to our worldwide Fossil Free movement.
THE TRANSFORMATION: We aim to shift the definition of climate success, starting with thought leaders, experts, entrepreneurs, and activists. Today most leaders and influencers limit themselves to the practical and achievable. They mostly call for global action to decarbonize everything. Their cautious best-case goal can be summarized as “Avoid the Worst Consequences of Climate Change.” Now HCA and others are proposing more inspiring goals: “Reverse Global Warming” and “Restore a Healthy Climate.” We invite people to ask themselves, “Why don’t we aim to give a world we dream of to future generations?”
These goals may sound visionary and grandiose. But HCA and others are developing the case that they’re technically feasible by 2050 — and they can be affordable and achievable.
SPECIFICS: HCA will raise funds to sponsor a ClimateHope Media Project. It can encompass our editorial partner’s in-house and contract editorial and reporting teams and outside contributors,. Topics can include:
- Profiles of people and organizations going all-in on new approaches. Example: Sir David King, chief science advisor to Blair/Brown/Cameron/May: “Putting forward the climate restoration agenda” (Ecologist interview, April 11). Other examples at HCA’s News & Media page.
- Spotlights and field reports chronicling development, analysis and deployment of solutions. Example: “Can Dirt Save the Earth,” carbon farming stories scratch the surface of farming solutions (NYT Sunday Magazine, April 18).
- We have articles in draft form queued up for publication. Find links to a few, some with co-authors, at the top of What Felix Kramer has written on climate change. (HCA and partners have others as well.)
- An international Editorial Advisory Board with experts in safety, technology, business, and society.
- An Editorial Forum: Possible first theme asks, “How can the optimism of Steven Pinker and Bill Gates about improving global life metrics integrate with redefined climate goals?”
- Crowdsourcing: Start with Name Contests for climate restoration activists: “Climate hawk” or “climate warrior” don’t match the non-military spirit of Healthy Climate. And to encompass the growing awareness of safe and coordinated carbon dioxide removal strategies, can we retire the tainted “geoengineering” label? (Can we do better than the American Geophysical Union’s “climate intervention.”)
About the Healthy Climate Alliance: We’re evangelizing the concepts of restoring our air and water to preindustrial levels by reaching 300 parts per million by 2050. We describe our Healthy Climate Alliance as a non-profit education, networking, and advocacy organization. Its global dialogues unite stakeholders including the public, policy-makers, and technical and business experts. HCA is shifting our shared goal to reversing global warming and restoring the climate. We affirm the moral value of giving our children a healthy climate like our grandparents had.
We see a ClimateHope Media Project as a way to get out the word as the San Francisco Bay Area becomes an an emerging hotbed for “carbontech” and Climate Restoration innovation. Projects and organizations here are listed in the recently launched Bay Area Climate Restoration Initiatives directory, curated by the Healthy Climate Alliance.