My lightbulb moment
About a year before I moved back to my hometown in the Bay Area, I was working at my university in Michigan and was chatting with my dad, Peter Fiekowsky, over my lunch break. In every conversation over the previous year or so, he’d mentioned talking to people about the climate. I had politely nodded along without paying attention, since I knew that the climate was a lost cause and too dire to think about.
This time, he mentioned speaking with an official at the UN, and I finally started to pay attention. I asked, “What exactly are you talking to these people about?” He explained that our climate policy has been focused on avoiding the worst consequences of climate change, rather than targeting an outcome we want. What we all really want is to give our children a healthy climate. We’ve been afraid to say it out loud for fear of rejection or being laughed at. However, he said, there’s no reason that we can’t restore the climate, other than that we’re not bothering to try. My mind was blown.
Organizations, projects, and companies I work with & support
- Healthy Climate Alliance for the goal of Climate Restoration
- HCA’s umbrella Foundation for Climate Restoration
- Ice911 for refreezing the Arctic
- Blue Planet for converting CO2 into limestone aggregate for construction materials
- Climate Foundation for cooling corals and restoring ocean ecosystems
- Citizens’ Climate Lobby for pricing carbon
I’ve been the Executive Director of the Healthy Climate Alliance since July 2017. I’m also a doctoral candidate in Interdisciplinary Evaluation, with a background in evaluation in international development, higher education, and nonprofits.